Mad Irish Man
Welcome to Sea of Thieves Season Three! One of our most ambitious updates yet, it unleashes a vast range of new features headlined by the five Tall Tales that make up Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life, our jaw-dropping crossover with Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean. And that’s not all – watch the trailer below!
Sea of Thieves Season Three: Official Content Update Trailer
Read on for an exhaustive breakdown of this Season’s special treats, from how to get started with Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life to insights into new enemies, new Trials and Deeds, new Events and much more!
Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life
Experience an epic original story to save the pirate’s way of life! Throughout five new Tall Tales, you’ll adventure across, beyond and below the Sea of Thieves alongside none other than Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean legend, Captain Jack Sparrow.
A New Cinematic Adventure
- Captain Jack Sparrow and his crew have crossed the horizon into the world of Sea of Thieves, and with Davy Jones following in their wake, they’ve set in motion a perilous chain of events that threaten the known world. Join Jack and other characters from Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean as you battle to save the Sea of Thieves.
- Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life unfolds across five new cinematic Tall Tales – Sea of Thieves’ carefully crafted narrative-driven adventures. Whether you’re playing solo or alongside crewmates, you’ll find these thrilling Tales filled with puzzles, pitched battles, surprises and rewards.
- To embark upon the Tall Tales that comprise Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life, head to the Castaway’s Camp at the nearest Outpost to speak to this mysterious new arrival…
Explore New Locations
- Venture off the Ferry and deep into the Sea of the Damned for the first time, exploring supernatural waters and uncovering the secrets of a world held in limbo where forsaken pirates linger.
- Journey through a world where pirate dreams and nightmares take on physical form as you navigate Captain Jack Sparrow’s past, visiting iconic locations from Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Dive into the underwater world of the Sunken Kingdom, discover locations built by sinister new foes and enter the towering Coral Fortress, where Davy Jones awaits.
- Access to some of the new locations is provided by the Tunnels of the Damned, portals leading to the Sea of the Damned during the ‘A Pirate’s Life’ and ‘Captains of the Damned’ Tall Tales. These stages of the adventure unfold in a separate realm where the only players are you and your crew, while the rest of Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life takes place in Sea of Thieves’ wider shared world where you may cross paths with other crews of real players.
- Using the Tunnels of the Damned to travel between worlds has its restrictions: crews approaching a mystical portal with treasure on board should be aware that the journey through the Tunnels transports their ship, but not their treasure. Hand it in at the nearest Outpost before travelling through the Tunnels to avoid leaving treasure floating in the sea in your wake!
Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life Commendations and Rewards
- New Commendations have been added to the Tall Tales Reputation tab, charting players’ progress as they uncover secrets following the world-changing events across the sea.
- Progressing through each Tale will reward players with a range of new cosmetics. For true explorers, unlocking the secrets hidden within the Tales will award a tune often heard floating across the waves…
Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life Achievements
- New Xbox and Steam achievements can be unlocked by progressing through the new in-game Commendations. A total of 300 gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and these achievements will remain in the game indefinitely.
Skeletons and sharks are no longer your only concern! Brand new threats are emerging all across the Sea of Thieves, ready to cause havoc for unprepared pirates. Stay on your guard, for things will never be the same again...
- Spectral adversaries blink into the fray! In life these fearsome foes were skilled pirates, but in death Phantoms are even more dangerous.
- When exploring islands, keep a keen ear to the wind as the sound of ghostly whispers warns of their approach.
- Phantoms fight with fast-paced hit-and-run tactics, and have gained unnatural abilities to further enhance their skills. They can blink in and out of existence during combat to disorientate opponents before winding up a teleport attack with their cutlass drawn. Desperate Phantoms can also cover great distances with a vicious lunge attack.
- While Phantoms use speed and numbers to overwhelm their enemies, they are vulnerable when visible. Time your attacks to stagger a Phantom and make them vulnerable to follow-up attacks.
- Inhabiting the worlds both above and below the surface, these grotesque monsters have retained a crew bond and will assist each other in combat, providing a match for even the most skilled of crews.
- The Eel-ectric attacks from range with devastating electrical abilities and up close with vicious melee attacks. Staggering one that’s charging an electrical attack or raising its Electric Shield in defence, or even detonating one of its attacks mid-air, will release Chain Lightning upon everyone close by!
- The Crab is the slow-moving brute of the crew and attacks with ground-shaking slam attacks, so dodge those pummelling blows before attacking when it’s vulnerable. When it protects its crew with a powerful Coral Shield, target the giant brute to break its defence!
- The slimy Hermit has a tough shell and charges head-first into battle, knocking back anything in its path, even its own crew! Approach carefully as it can release deadly spore breath, damaging players over time and impairing vision. The Hermit can burrow beneath the ground and either revitalise its crew or surprise pirates by bursting out with explosive force.
- A defeated Ocean Crawler may drop the Siren Gem within its chest, which can be cashed in with Trading Company representatives for gold and reputation.
- A dark past has divided those who dwell beneath the waves, corrupting some into deadly Sirens. Pirates who linger too long in the depths may hear the echo of an ominous yet familiar song as Sirens rise to drag them to a watery grave.
- Sirens and Siren Leaders will appear in groups to threaten crews. They can perform a range of underwater abilities, from scratching melee attacks to long-distance Siren Song projectiles, and have the devastating ability to regenerate health while damaging enemies around them.
- A defeated Siren may drop the Siren Gem within its chest, which can be cashed in with Trading Company representatives for gold and reputation.
Trident of Dark Tides
- To help turn the tide against these new foes, a powerful new weapon has risen from the depths – deadly when wielded by a Siren Leader, but equally devastating in the hands of a cunning pirate.
- Charge the Trident of Dark Tides to create a bubble of powerful energy that can be unleashed to damage and knock back your opponents. Sharpshooter pirates can detonate a larger, slow-moving bubble in mid-air by firing a gun or hitting it with a smaller bubble!
- The Trident of Dark Tides can now be found washed up on beaches, submerged just off the shores of islands, dropped after defeating sea threats, found deep in sunken wrecks or even locked away in Skeleton Fort Vaults.
A new Season brings new levels of progression alongside new rewards to earn. Crews are free to enjoy the game their way, playing through the Season on their terms, while a wealth of new features from beyond the horizon complete this Season’s journey!
Seasonal Progression and Rewards
- Progressing through Season Three will reward pirates with the Daring Deceiver clothing set, unique Season Three specials along with time-limited Blue Horizon collectibles.
- Existing Pirate Legends or those who earn this lofty Title during Season Three will be able to unlock the eccentric Sudds’ Jacket and Ferry of the Damned Figurehead.
- Completing each Tier of levels within the Season will award a unique Title that shows your success for all to see!
Season Three Trials
- Players looking to accelerate their progress through a Season should take on the Trials – themed sets of tasks known as Deeds that will test your adventuring, exploring and battling capabilities.
- Season Three contains a refreshed set of Trials for new players and experienced pirates alike, encouraging the discovery and rediscovery of Sea of Thieves’ wide range of Tall Tales.
Season Three Emissary Ledger Rewards
- Representing the Gold Hoarders well in their Ledger can now earn players the Tribute Peak Cannon and Wheel.
- Players seeking out the secrets of the Order of Souls can earn the Relic of Darkness Cannon and Wheel from their Ledger performance.
- The Merchant Alliance honour their high-performing Ledger representatives with the Merchant Ambassador Cannon and Wheel.
- Flying the flag of The Reaper’s Bones and earning a high rank in their Ledger can earn players the Masked Renegade Cannon and Wheel.
- Legendary pirates representing Athena’s Fortune in their Ledger can earn the Legendary Spirit Blunderbuss and Eye of Reach to show their allegiance to the Pirate Lord.
For those seeking something a little more focused than the intentionally wide-ranging Trials, each new Season delivers new time-limited in-game Events offering their own rewards. Find out what you can expect in the opening weeks of Season Three!
Flags of Friendship (starts July 1st)
- Noticing lots of new visitors to the Sea of Thieves, Larinna seeks to make the seas a little more welcoming for them by encouraging more experienced pirates to eliminate some of the greatest threats.
- Players will be tasked with seeking out significant dangers on the seas, from Krakens and Megalodons to active Forts and Ashen Lords. Overcoming them will allow crews to earn the Bilge Rats’ Favour, and additional Favour is available for doing so while in an Alliance.
- Earning enough Favour will allow players to earn Seasonal Renown and cosmetic rewards such as the Flags of Friendship Makeup, Tattoo and Scar.
- Throughout the Event, players placing treasure onto another crew’s ship will increase their progress through an ongoing challenge, the end goal being the Pirate Philanthropist Title and bonus gold for every loot item that another crew sells on their behalf.
- Unlock even more cosmetics in Season Three with Twitch Drops. Tune in to Partnered streamers to earn new additions to the Gilded Phoenix set, along with bonus emotes. Find out how to link your accounts and more on our Twitch Drops page.
- Continuing this month, plenty of cosmetics, currency and emotes are up for grabs in a series of time-limited packs for Prime Gaming members! Visit our Prime Gaming page to find out how to link your Amazon Prime account and claim each pack when it goes live.
Season Three's Pirate Emporium refresh delivers a cascade of cosmetics inspired by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean to add some allure to your ship, your pirate and your crew. Meanwhile, everything's brand new in the Season Three Plunder Pass!
Season Three Plunder Pass
- Purchase the latest Plunder Pass to add 11 never-before-seen rewards to the pool available to earn by climbing the levels of Seasonal progression, along with Ancient Coin drops at each Tier.
- The Season Three Plunder Pass is fully stocked with early access items! It unlocks access to the new Thunderous Fury Figurehead, Flag and Sails, along with Versatile Weapon Pose and Gold Pouch Trick emotes – not to mention the Shining Pegasus Costume, Banjo, Cutlass, Pistol, Eye of Reach and Blunderbuss.
- The Season Three Plunder Pass is available to purchase through the Pirate Log, Pirate Emporium, Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store.
Captain Jack Sparrow Crew Set
- Pay homage to the legendary Captain Jack Sparrow and his crew with a set of four costumes. Purchasing the set grants access to the Captain Jack Sparrow Costume influenced by his iconic outfit (with or without beard), along with Gibbs, Anamaria and Scrum Crew Costumes for your friends to wear whenever they’re in your crew. Available at a discount for early buyers!
- While wearing the Captain Jack Sparrow Costume, players can perform the Wiggle Emote.
Captain Jack Sparrow Emote Bundle
- Impersonate Captain Jack Sparrow with these unique takes on classic Sea of Thieves emotes.
Eternal Freedom Ship Collection
- Get set for incredible new adventures by snapping up the Eternal Freedom Ship Collection, with an eerie Collector’s Figurehead and ethereal Collector’s Sails also available!
- An Eternal Freedom Essential Ship Bundle is also on offer, including just the core ship cosmetics at a lower price.
Eternal Freedom Weapons
- Why not start some mischief with these four sturdy weapons forged beyond the horizon? Purchase the Eternal Freedom Weapon Bundle including all four weapons for a discount!
- Adopt this faithful pet if you’re keen to ensure your brig stays locked up nice and tight.
Time-Limited Simian Sweetheart Bundle
- For this month only, pick up a discounted bundle including an adorable Capuchin and Wild Rose Outfit.
Freebie Dance of the Deep Emote
- Dance like you’re being dragged under the waves with this free Dance of the Deep Emote!
Outpost CosmeticsDawn Hunter Set
- The Outpost shipwrights, along with the clothing, equipment and weapon shops, now offer the Dawn Hunter set for purchase. Players must obtain the Plundered Prizes Commendation to unlock access to this set.
- The Outpost clothing shops now stock the Grimy Bilge Rat clothing set, available to purchase for gold.
- Previous rewards from the Reapers vs. the World Event have now been added to the Outpost shops.
- The Gold Hoarders Lantern, Merchant Alliance Compass and Order of Souls Spyglass along with the Disgraced Gold Hoarders Hat, Disgraced Merchant Alliance Hat and Disgraced Order of Souls Headband can now be found in their respective stores, locked behind Commendations.
- Due to a clothing store mix-up, the Blackcoat Executive Admiral set is undergoing some changes.
- The existing Blackcoat Executive Admiral Jacket has been renamed to Blackcoat Admiral. A replacement Jacket has been crafted which better matches the Blackcoat Executive Admiral set.
- The prices of the Blackcoat Executive Admiral set have been corrected to align with other sets.
UpdatesRefreshed Front End Menus
- When launching Sea of Thieves in Season Three, players will now find an improved front end experience, helping new and experienced players alike get into the right sessions more quickly.
- The Play tab hosts the various game modes including the Maiden Voyage tutorial, Adventure and Arena, all with intuitive instructions to aid setup for newer players.
- An option for Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life has also been added to the Play tab. Note that this does not open a separate game mode but allows players to jump straight into the latest action with their friends, placing them in a Closed Crew at the Castaway’s Camp, ready to begin or continue the new Tall Tales.
- The Discover tab has an expanded What’s New section to keep you informed of changes taking place across the seas. The Pirate Emporium continues to be available, allowing players to browse and purchase before entering the game.
AccessibilityNew Player Accessibility Settings
- New Sea of Thieves players will now be offered a range of accessibility settings when first loading the game to help tailor the experience to their needs, along with shortcut access to the wider suite of accessibility settings included in the game.
- New players are now also offered a simple way to ensure Sea of Thieves is suitable for all the family. Enabling Family Mode will disable voice and text communication with other crews you may meet in the open world. These settings can always be re-enabled later from the Settings Menu.
- To improve readability of UI menus that overlap, the rear image will no longer use a blur effect and will now show as opaque with the front menu using a darker background.
- Within the Accessibility Settings, players can select how long pop-up notifications should appear on-screen using ‘Toast Message Duration’.
- Within the Accessibility Settings on PC, players can now choose a preferred game language independent of the operating system language.
- When enabling ‘Let Games Read to Me’ in platform settings, navigating through cosmetic chests and shop UI menus will now be narrated for improved accessibility.
- Within the Quests menu, navigating through the Voyage and Tall Tale inventories will now be narrated.
- Within the Pirate Log, both Season and Reputation sections will now be narrated.
- When interacting with Trading Company representatives, menu navigation will now be narrated.
- Interacting with barrels around the world and navigating through their contents will now be narrated.
- Crews migrating to new servers should no longer become unable to use ship interactions on arrival.
- Crews migrating servers near a shipwreck will no longer bring undiscovered treasure with them to the new server.
- ‘Wild Rose’ – On reaching the final chapter of this Tall Tale and returning to the Order of Souls, the Outpost will now load correctly.
- Swapping emotes while emoting should now correctly change the camera positioning.
- The ‘Speak to Larinna outside any tavern’ Deed should now complete after speaking with Larinna.
- After redeeming a crate, players should no longer see a ‘Redeem’ prompt appear at the Merchant Alliance vendor.
- On Steam, players are no longer able to modify game files in order to exceed the maximum player field of view.
- The Merchant Alliance Lost Shipments map should no longer be blank for a few seconds after opening it.
- When a player has voted at an Emissary table, if the vote is still in progress when they leave the Outpost their vote is now removed.
- Players should no longer be able to vote to end an Emissary session shortly after their ship has sunk.
- While representing Athena’s Fortune or the Order of Souls as an Emissary, defeating named skeletons at Skeleton Forts and the Fort of Fortune will now earn crews Emissary Grade progression.
- Killing a Megalodon should now award players with reputation when sailing as an Athena’s Fortune Emissary.
- The Bear & Bird Ship Bundle in the Pirate Emporium will now correctly show that they have Collector’s Sails and Figurehead available to purchase separately.
- While on a Skeleton Galleon, walking into geometry outside the Captain’s cabin should no longer cause players to safe teleport.
- During an Arena contest, the Sea Dog Chest marker should now update correctly on the ship’s map.
- When sailing, the bow splash visual effects now appear from the correct location.
- During The Legend of Glitterbeard, players should hear the vocal audio when the tree starts to glow.
- Toast notifications positioned above dialogue should now move back down when the dialogue has finished.
- The skeleton runes displayed on the Masked Renegade Hull are now orientated correctly.
- After killing fauna on the islands, they should now fade out.
- Commodity Crates should now use the appropriate textures when viewed facing the sun.
- Browsing the clothing store at an Outpost should no longer show overlapping navigation markers the bottom of the screen.
- When a player is affected by snake venom, it will now display the full-screen visual effect.
- Improved server stability, reducing scenarios where crews are removed from a game session.
- Further improvements made to server performance, reducing latency during gameplay.
Known Issues‘A Pirate’s Life’ Tall Tale – Joining in Progress
- Joining a crew who have already made progress through checkpoints in the first Tale will spawn players in the incorrect location. For the lost player, dying and returning will bring them to the correct location in the Tale.
- Crews who have recently returned from the Tunnels of the Damned and then begin their journey through the ‘Lords of the Sea’ Tall Tale in the same gameplay session will encounter visual issues. As a workaround, this can be fixed by forcing the game to quit by using Alt+F4 on PC or closing the application on console and then rejoining your session.
- While travelling through the Tunnels of the Damned, losing your connection to the game and rejoining may cause visual issues and cause the migration to the new area to fail, returning you to your starting location.
- Players are able to browse Commendations for ‘The Sunken Pearl’ and ‘Dark Brethren’ Tall Tales before they have completed the preceding Tale. To prevent the experience from being spoiled, avoid reading ahead!
- Players who have purchased the Season Three Plunder Pass may find that rewards are not immediately unlocked when the appropriate level of Seasonal progression is reached. Logging out and back in should resolve this and cause the unlocked item to appear in the relevant chest.
- In areas of intense action, players may find themselves firing shots or landing strikes that do not cause damage to their targets. While improvements continue to be delivered during our content updates, this remains a key priority for the team.
Download and InstallationDownload size:
Xbox Series X: 16.49 GB
Xbox Series S: 7.4 GB
Xbox One X: 16.49 GB
Xbox One: 7.4 GB
Windows 10: 18.2 GB
Steam: 15.97 GB
XBOX INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
PC INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
Forum DiscussionYou can discuss these release notes in the Forums here.
You can leave your feedback on the game in general here.